Friday, September 27, 2013

Still trying to feel better

Brenna has shown us a side of her these past few days that we have never seen before. She is intensely determined to get better and has been very tolerant of the endless pokes and prodding that she wakes up to and then continues throughout the day.

I went downstairs this morning just to stretch my legs and get a new security badge. It shocked me to see the date: September 27th. I can't believe we have been here since the 24th. It feels like one long day in the hospital. When I have visited the 8th floor garden, I have on jeans and a sweatshirt, only to find that outside it's in the 80's. It just gives a reminder and awareness that there is a whole world going on outside the hospital, but it feels very far away.

I am usually a news junkie and love hearing the morning news, but our stay here has bred an ambivalence. I couldn't care less if the government shuts down or if the ISBHE gets its act together with class ratios and IEPs. All I care about is seeing Brenna up and walking again and able to act like herself.

The sound of the helicopter is a frequent soundtrack here and I wonder if Daniel, our IV hero, is on board, flying overhead.

All is well with Sam and Emily back in Charleston, so for now, we can just focus on the here and now: the moment by moment, the afternoon naps while she is napping, the surprise of seeing that the sky is dark already and not knowing where the day went.

And Brenna is still sick. She doesn't complain, just continues to try.

"We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair;"
2 Corinthians 4:8

No comments:

Post a Comment